logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Red Toad  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 6:10:47 AM(UTC)
Red Toad

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

My 2001 Country Coach runs the Cummins ISC350. Under the dash is the 6-pin connector, and a rectangular, 8 pin [I think] socket labeled "diagnostic". I have set up a dash, and successfully linked to my 6-pin BlueFire adapter using an Ipad. However, was disappointed at some data apparently unavailable, displaying values of NA.

Then, midway through a 1,600 mile trip, I got static numbers. Oil pressure was shown at something like 68 psi, but unchanging with engine speed. After key off, went back to NA.

Yesterday, I discovered at the back of the bus, BOTH a 6-pin (labeled J1587) and a 9-pin (labeled J1939).

Any chance more or better data is available on the 9-pin? Any history on coaches built with both? Any way to get the newer style plug up to the dash -- 40 feet away!

Thanks for the product, Mark. Really appreciate what you have going here.

Mike
Mark  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 2:17:21 PM(UTC)
Mark

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi Mike, Unfortunately your 2001 will be J1708 (6-pin) only as the J1939 (9-pin) spec wasn't released until 2004 but many OEMs began installing 9-pin connectors early. Note that the 9-pin is configured to receive J1708 data also.

J1708 data can be erratic. See the Getting Started document for more info on it.
Red Toad  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2021 11:13:14 AM(UTC)
Red Toad

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Hello again, Mark.
Don't mean to be that guy who won't stop beating a dead horse, but I guess that's me.

Recently exchanged emails with an other business in pursuit of Oil Pressure on my J1708 bus. Their web site noted some vehicle manufactures supplemented standard PID codes with their own.

Here's the upshot of that:

=====
Quote:
=========

From: Preston Prevatte <support@cuttingedgediagnostics.freshdesk.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 26, 2021, 6:14 AM
Subject: Re: Offline message from Mike on Fri, 26 Mar, 2021

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately i do not have an answer for you. We are tech support for the Texa Diagnostic tool here and are not familiar with the Bluefire. If it helps at all i know on some of the older Cats it was a setting turned off in the ecm that disabled the oil pressure reading.

Preston Prevatte
Customer Experience Representative
Cutting Edge Automotive Solutions, LLC
Office (855)839-2626
Fax (251)217-9077
www.cuttingedgeautomotive.net

On Thu, 25 Mar at 11:24 PM , Mike <mlfiedler@gmail.com> wrote:
Created via Chat.
Any chance Cummins in a 2000-2001 vintage ISC-350 may have used "unique" oil pressure and temp PID values? I'm using a "BLUEFIRE FOR MOTORHOMES" system to pull data off the J1708 bus, and display it on a tablet at the dash. But nothing I try brings up oil pressure or temp. Did Cummins consider those irrelevant??

======[End Quote]=======

Surely the Cummins ECM had to get oil status. I wonder if it's just held "close to the vest" within the ECM?

Mike
Mark  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2021 11:59:35 AM(UTC)
Mark

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
You can try turning off the J1708 data filtering (Settings/System/Ignore J1708 Data Filtering). You will probably see some erratic data values but maybe oil pressure will show.