Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djernigan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2019 10:00:52 AM(UTC)
djernigan

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/20/2019(UTC)
Posts: 1
United States
Location: Aransas Pass Tx 78336

I have a 2008 Phaeton 36 QSH with a 360 hp Cummins ISC engine, Freightliner chassis, 2 gages do not work, the fuel and exhaust temp. Any ideas as to why?

David
Mark  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 5:28:49 AM(UTC)
Mark

Rank: Administration

Groups: Administrators
Joined: 4/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 226

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It seems that in many motorhomes the OEMs put in analog fuel gauges so they are not connected to the ECM. Possible the same for Exhaust Temp, or the ECM is not sending it. For the missing fuel gauge, our next release will calculate fuel level based on tank fill up and the fuel used.
MMaynard  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 4:38:09 PM(UTC)
MMaynard

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/4/2019(UTC)
Posts: 5
United States
Location: Foothills

Thanks: 1 times
Like others, I am awaiting the next release that will provide additional gauges.

For example, the following data items are known to be available on my 2001 Cummins ISM450 (M11) with the Allison transmission:
Retarder Temp (VMSpc PID 120) Not currently available to the Blue-Fire app

The following are available in the app but not displaying correctly (i.e. NA)
Gear Selected/Attained (VMSpc PID 162/163) These display as NA on my version of the Blue-Fire app (IOS version)
Instant MPG/Recent MPG (VMSpc PID 184/502)
Intake Manifold Temp
HP
Torque
Engine Load %

Trip Miles (VMSpc PID=244)
Trip Gallons (VMSpc PID=182)
Trip Time Elapsed
Trip MPH
Trip MPG

Is there a way to use the PGN/PID sniffer to see if these are being detected by the BF adapter?

-Mike-

Edited by user Wednesday, February 6, 2019 5:46:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Better wording and more detail.

2001 Foretravel U320 3610
Cummins ISM 450hp
Mark  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:38:07 AM(UTC)
Mark

Rank: Administration

Groups: Administrators
Joined: 4/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 226

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Our next release will provide a way to sniff the J1708 PIDs and also adds some more gauges to the custom dash.

For the trip info, have you looked at the Trip page of the App? We added this feature because not all OEMs publish trip info onto the data bus.
BobGed  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:16:46 PM(UTC)
BobGed

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/5/2019(UTC)
Posts: 18
United States
Location: Nevada

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: MMaynard Go to Quoted Post
Like others, I am awaiting the next release that will provide additional gauges.

For example, the following data items are known to be available on my 2001 Cummins ISM450 (M11) with the Allison transmission:
Retarder Temp (VMSpc PID 120) Not currently available to the Blue-Fire app

The following are available in the app but not displaying correctly (i.e. NA)
Gear Selected/Attained (VMSpc PID 162/163) These display as NA on my version of the Blue-Fire app (IOS version)
Instant MPG/Recent MPG (VMSpc PID 184/502)
Intake Manifold Temp
HP
Torque
Engine Load %

Trip Miles (VMSpc PID=244)
Trip Gallons (VMSpc PID=182)
Trip Time Elapsed
Trip MPH
Trip MPG

Is there a way to use the PGN/PID sniffer to see if these are being detected by the BF adapter?

-Mike-

Mike,

You should be seeing some of the items you have listed. For example for Gear Selected and Attained, you should see those on the Drive page - Transmission.

If you're using the J1939 Data Bus, have you tried to J1708?

-Bob
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
Cummins ISL9 380 HP
Freightliner chassis
MMaynard  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 1:18:15 PM(UTC)
MMaynard

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/4/2019(UTC)
Posts: 5
United States
Location: Foothills

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: BobGed Go to Quoted Post

You should be seeing some of the items you have listed. For example for Gear Selected and Attained, you should see those on the Drive page - Transmission.
If you're using the J1939 Data Bus, have you tried to J1708?
-Bob


I have tried with both selected. Will try switching to J1708.

The following screenshot is from a coach that is identical to mine; same year, model, engine, and transmission. The data items shown are definitely on the data bus for my coach.



The following values display as NA using the Blue-Fire app.
Gear Selected/Attained (VMSpc PID 162/163)
Instant MPG/Recent MPG (VMSpc PID 184/502)
Intake Manifold Temp (VMSpc PID 105)



Later... Selecting only J1708 enabled the fuel gauge and some of the trip values like DTE. I turned on logging of all values and will inspect the log to see what values are being picked up. It appears that Foretravel did not implement a sensor for Exhaust Temp and as of this version, the Intake Manifold temp has not been implemented by BF.

-Mike-

Edited by user Friday, February 8, 2019 4:30:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added info

2001 Foretravel U320 3610
Cummins ISM 450hp
BobGed  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 3:50:52 PM(UTC)
BobGed

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/5/2019(UTC)
Posts: 18
United States
Location: Nevada

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: MMaynard Go to Quoted Post

I have tried with both selected. Will try switching to J1708.

The following screenshot is from a coach that is identical to mine; same year, model, engine, and transmission. The data items shown are definitely on the data bus for my coach.


The following values display as NA using the Blue-Fire app.
Gear Selected/Attained (VMSpc PID 162/163)
Instant MPG/Recent MPG (VMSpc PID 184/502)
Intake Manifold Temp (VMSpc PID 105)

Later... Selecting only J1708 enabled the fuel gauge and some of the trip values like DTE. I turned on logging of all values and will inspect the log to see what values are being picked up. It appears that Foretravel did not implement a sensor for Exhaust Temp and the Intake Manifold temp has not been implement by BF to date.

-Mike-


Mike, I'm going to guess that your friend is using a version of VMSpc prior to 4.xx. I, and many others, were never able to get Gear Selected to work using that version, and Silverleaf stopped looking for a solution.

Glad to hear you did get some of the missing gauges to work by switching to the J1708 bus. Were you able to see the Current Gear (Gear Attained) on the Dash and/or the Drive page after switching the bus?

There is an updated version being tested now. Stay tuned for its release.

-Bob

Edited by user Friday, February 8, 2019 3:55:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
Cummins ISL9 380 HP
Freightliner chassis
MMaynard  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 4:27:05 PM(UTC)
MMaynard

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/4/2019(UTC)
Posts: 5
United States
Location: Foothills

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: BobGed Go to Quoted Post
Were you able to see the Current Gear (Gear Attained) on the Dash and/or the Drive page after switching the bus?


No, the gear attained/selected was not displayed.

Originally Posted by: BobGed Go to Quoted Post
There is an updated version being tested now. Stay tuned for its release.


Thanks Bob, I am looking forward to it.
-Mike-

Edited by user Friday, February 8, 2019 4:27:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2001 Foretravel U320 3610
Cummins ISM 450hp
Users browsing this topic
Similar Topics
Fuel Gauge (General Discussion)
by Mark 1/24/2019 5:28:49 AM(UTC)
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.